Monday 20 November 2006

Writing about games.

All I ask is a FAIR review. However that isn’t always the case.
When it comes to review games and giving a fair review I can imagine it’s not so simple as everyone would tend to think. How can you grade entertainment value? I wouldn’t say that you can unless you are unbiased on a biblical scale.
Say if you took into account all of the technical aspects of the game such as how it was made, camera, value for money etc then it wouldn’t be a decent review. Sure I want to know if the game has a smooth playing feel to it but if it’s gonna bore me to tears then I’d rather not play it. However the game is usually criticized for game play and the idea behind it and if it doesn’t quite fit it won’t get a decent or even fair review. You’ll find that the larger companies usually always get excellent reviews whilst smaller companies tend to drift around in the review pool and not really get noticed or even make the cover.
Another thing when reviewing a game is to get the frame of mind of the person that the game was intentionally marketed for. If you have a 25 year old guy reviewing say Counter-strike then fair enough, he fits the market. However if the same guy is reviewing say a Harry Potter game then I can’t see the reviews being completely fair on that aspect. Either way you look at it, it is hard to judge games on every aspect imaginable, some games just won’t sit fair with a reviewer and therefore with get a lower score whilst a well known game gets a higher score then deserved. I think it all comes down to opinion: To often I’ve found myself being annoyed at a low score that was given on a game that I enjoyed.
The best review is the one you give, I guess. If you want to play a game then regardless of what score it was given you would of already made your mind up if you liked the game or not.

No comments: