Monday 20 November 2006

Gameplay.

To me gameplay is the ultimate factor whether it’s a game that I’ll keep or if I pawn it off to Gamestation for store credit.
I love my graphics, I don’t deny that I like to be visually pleased when it comes to a game, however though graphics are becoming more and more important as time goes on it’s still safe to say that ultimately gameplay will rule over it. I think successful gameplay is how well you interact with the game and also how you apply different types of thinking to different games, which are all based on different elements of gameplay.
No two people can think exactly alike , so no two people will approach a problem the same way. I believe in order for game play to be successful it has to cater for everyone’s preferences on playing and personal thinking style.
The example I give you is the “As played by…” campaign launched by Maxis to promote ‘the Sims’ many titles. Considering that is one franchise that is literally all the same just on different formats, it is so open ended that there is many different ways to play it. The campaign features one person describing how they play the game so there’s one person that like to make stories , another that wants them to be rich, another that likes designing houses and such etc.
Even when it comes to RPG such as the final fantasy series, the gameplay and what the player gets out of the game differs. Though the characters and story is set, many people will fight different. A good game and good gameplay is something that appeals to everyone and it doesn’t matter who you are but you’ll get something out of the game that was worthwhile and will make you think “ I want to play that again.

No comments: