Friday 7 December 2007

The Golden Compass

A few friends and I watched the Golden Compass on Wednesday, so there might already be a few blog posts regarding this topic on other people’s blogs.

I was quite pleased going on a Wednesday since it wasn’t very busy and also I could use my trusty Orange Wednesdays ticket, which is two tickets for the price of one.

Another thing is that I have never read the book, I wanted to, I just never really got round to it. So unlike the others that were comparing the film to the book and parts that had been cut out, I was blissfully watching the film unaware of anything like this.

As far as the film goes I thought that it was quite enjoyable, the whole setting was really intriguing and creative, I loved the idea of the Daemons walking along side a human and if the human died the Daemon would explode into dust.

There were some really nice touches such as Marisa Coulter (played by Nicole Kidman) when she slaps her Daemon across the face and ends up with a slap mark on her own face, things like this made the universe seem more real.

The casting was very fitting, the adults did a superb job however the kids came across a bit flat, but kids in films aren’t known for great acting anyway. The lead Lyra Belacqua (played by Dakota Blue Richards) was well suited to the part but as mention was a bit flat in parts. Having Ian McKellen play Iorek Byrnison, the armoured bear felt a bit strange as though it didn’t quite fit, although he still played a very good part.

My view as a whole is that it truly is an enchanting film with some awesome creative ideas and scenes, the cast generally play the parts well, the cg in some parts is excellent but some times it did look a bit off and not quite right especially with the Daemons. I think if I had read the book then I would have been disappointed as everyone that had previously read the book were complaining that it didn’t match up to it. However the movie did reel me in to this fascinating universe so I will be buying the book shortly.

No comments: