Sunday 9 December 2007

Creativity part 4

The question I wish to observe today is: do you have to be playful to be creative?

In theory I would answer yes, as there has to be some imagination and toying with ideas to produce something. However what can you really count as playfulness and creativity, or are the two terms so similar that they count as the same idea? Why is it that some adults become serious in all aspects in their lives whereas some do not? Has this got anything to do with creativity? Why am I asking so many questions?

As children we all play, children always do, it’s how they learn. Children mimic those around them and “play” at being those people such as doctors, mummy and daddy, cops and robbers etc. As a child I loved going to school, as all we would do is play games, finger-paint and do tons of arts and crafts and that all I pretty much remember about infant school. Being a kid is about as free as your ever going to get in terms of your mind and perception of oneself as all that your expected to do is bumble about being silly and constantly wanting to play.

I didn’t really like the academic side of things (mostly maths – can’t stand the subject, and everyone has calculators now anyway). I loved reading, writing and drawing always have done and hopefully always will do. So do I argue the fact that my personality was always playful and creative or do I argue that society and the people around me shaped it?

Research predicts that having large families might hinder creativity and playfulness at early ages, as children will be expected to be helpful around the house and could sense the stress of their parents and thus not be as willing to be as spontaneous. Well since I never was from a big family I don’t really know if this is true or not, but I was from a single parent family and I was always asked to do more around the house then my brother and I could always pick up when my mom was stressed or worried, which kind of kills any creative pursuits you want to do at the time.

Being a child you have more freedom, as there is no pressure, as soon as a child grasps that their actions will have long-term consequences such as exams, it will change the reality of the situation and start shaping the child long-term aspirations, influences and effect leisurely pursuits and career choices.

I was fortunate enough to live in a home where the pressure wasn’t as concentrated as perhaps other families, however since my brother was pretty much a drifter and didn’t particularly like studying it was left to me to do the family proud and go to university and get straight A’s, so no pressure there.

My belief that everyone does have a degree of playfulness and creativity, it might be shown in their sense of humour, their job or even in little doodles they do whilst taking notes from a lecturer. However it’s the real life constraints that are constantly hindering people from being more playful with thoughts like “ I can’t do that I have work tomorrow.” Or “ I can’t do that, the washing up needs to be done.” In the end it becomes so routine that they stop thinking of anything truly creative and just get on with real life. Once reality and pressure interfere then the expressiveness of the individual suffers. Sometimes it could be the opinion of oneself, such as doing something thought of as “unprofessional” and not wanting to get in trouble can stifle creativity and playfulness.

I think it is time to draw things to a close but first to end this self-debate with a conclusion. I think that all children are playful, it’s something you’re born with not made, however the choice to indulge in ones own creativity is affected by family, society and pressure. If discouraged at an early age then it might fade out however if encouraged with creative pursuits and pastimes then the level of creativity will grow as the individual explores their own imagination and what they can achieve with it. I like to think that happened with me since my dad wanted me to be a doctor yet since he didn’t live with me had had no influence with this ideal so I was left to my own devices and indulged in what I enjoyed. Hence why I’m on this course pursuing a creative career, with my playfulness and imagination still in tact.

No comments: