Sunday 25 February 2007

Week 16: Gaming Cultures

Anyone that knows me at all will know that I will spend this whole post ranting about how great and godly WoW is. I shall try to refrain, I really will.

Ok screw that.

WoW is god. <>

Alright being serious, most of my years I’ve spent in one gaming culture or another, I’ve met some of my best friends through games and I still find it intriguing how easy it is talking to someone you’ve just met about their favourite games. Pretty much like everyone else, I adored Pokemon and me and a few others would play at lunchtime in school. Another culture I got involved in was NeverWinter Nights, spending my time testing online friends modules.

I met two very good friends through a large conversation about Final fantasy and Devil may cry. One of which is my flatmate and follow guitar hero buddy (when her brother was manager at Game, he hooked up the two guitars and let us play all lunchtime- we so sold that game.)

Belonging to a game is much like a clique at high school in my opinion as there are many different sub groups much like games, it’s like the Horde and Alliance are Goths and Jocks in the game based world…
Which brings me on to WoW I guess, I’ve been playing it since August so I’m a late coming to the whole WoW experience as my computer at the time simply could not run it however I would agree that the game should be re-named to World of Warcrack as it is highly addictive and I’ve lost many, many hours to this game doing mindless quests. However it is an extremely satisfying and addictive feeling killing the Alliance my only grievance is that I can’t play it any more because of my halls.
I belonged to a female gaming forum at one point where one of the members kept badgering me to play Guild Wars, to which my response was to hiss at her and scuttle back to my WoW cave.


But I’m not addicted….I’m a WoW enthusiast.

I guess knowing the fan history behind a game includes you in it’s culture, so I shall leave you with the Leeroy Jenkins fan history.




Leeeeeeeeeeroy Jenkins!!!

No comments: