Friday 11 January 2008

A Creative Summery

I decided that it is finally time to draw my thoughts about creativity to a close. Over the past few weeks I’ve tried to break the huge topic of creativity down into smaller more digestible chunks so that they make more sense to me.

The first question that I thought was how do I know that I’m creative? I couldn’t really answer that, as I just knew that I was creative. My interests have always leaned towards more creative pursuits I never really wanted to do anything else. I didn’t strive to be athletic or academic but I always knew that I wanted to do something creative with my life. However that didn’t really answer my question to why I, personally was creative. How was I creative?

I would constantly draw, I would write and did some acting, and if there was ever a project at school I would always make sure that I was head of its art direction. Being creative was something that I was proud of and enjoyed. I guess I was creative in a linear way, as I wasn’t really creative in a logical way, I didn’t like maths or science, I enjoyed history but only because I could doodle in that class and no one would really notice. When I think about my whole life, I’ve always been that way. In my other posts I stated that creativity could be linked to the things. It can be linked as being something new or solving a problem. My own personal creative stems from my life choices and my interests, I fit a creative type.

Creativity is one of those funny words that have so many meanings and guises that I can’t really say that Creativity = X, it’s more like Creativity = X+ Y with a bit of Z. It can’t really be defined with one word. It’s just a very vague word that could mean one thing but also mean a completely different thing entirely. However since it stems from the word create, creativity will always mean to create. Being creative means having the drive, will and passion to create something that been nestled in your thoughts for some time, to produce something that you and others haven’t seen before.


Although it stems from the word create, Creativity is not bound to that one word alone. Creativity is the form of fun, enjoyment, emotion, interactivity and productivity. Creativity is constantly around us in every little detail. On my desk is some Cadburys Digestive biscuits, now somebody had the thought of the biscuit, someone had the thought of chocolate, then somebody had to have the thought of combining the two. Why are the biscuits circler, why aren’t they square, why aren’t the biscuits thicker or thinner? Who made the decision to have the packet purple, who is the company called Cadburys? Just in one packet of biscuits, which seems so trivial, has so many creative decisions involved, and this is only the one packet of biscuits that we see that made it to the production line, imagine all the designs that were made but never used, the designs that were thought but never placed on paper.


My other point is the creative process, since our thoughts move so quickly and we have so many of them at what point to we decide to follow on with some thoughts but let others slip and forget them. What makes us decided to make the creative decision to draw something one-way and not another. We don’t really question our own thoughts as we just go with them as we trust them, listening to other peoples thoughts makes you question your own thoughts in comparison and judge them more, which is why setting a task where everyone has the same word (like what we have been doing in Art with Chris.) however nobody has the same result. Everyone has a different creative process that they go through to reach the final design. I like to think of it as a thought tournament of some sort, where at the very top, the winner is the final design. There were loads of very small quick thoughts that were creativity dismissed and the winner would have much more thought put into to it.

The creative process can be just as important as the final creative product since everyone handles it differently; everyone has different taste and experiences to draw their inspiration from, since no one shares the same memories or ideas the chance of having an exact copy of someone else product is pretty much impossible. People can have very similar ideas considering how they have been brought up, for example most people have the same conception that sharks are powerful, ferocious and frightful creatures so would be good as a villain. So coquencidences like that are bound to occur.

I think that humans had to be creative to survive, if you think of how many different cultures have formed with different style of art, music and speech. I think that it is only human nature to strive to be creative to set themselves apart from others, to seek individuality as part as a group. Many things are based on circumstance, such as expansion of a colony, invasions and resources to have things are done and how we speak and interact with each other. If humans weren’t naturally creative then there would only be two or three names for everything that existed and the wheel would never of been created. It was creative process as names were something new and the wheel was solving a problem.

However humans aren’t the only things that are creative, I also believe in creative design. That everything on this planet has been shaped to intelligent and creative design. Early man had many forms, however some early designs were flawed and therefore died out leaving only the intelligent designs to keep evolving. Everything fits in so well, like a perfect jigsaw puzzle, that everything has been evolved to solve a problem, such as our eyebrows, which keep the sweat out of our eyes, I believe that it is intelligent and creative design. The African lions are coloured so they blend in with the grass, male birds are more colourful and elaborate to attract females. Creative design has shaped the planet and humans being the more dominant species is shaping it to suit it’s own need. The planet is seeing natural creativity and man made creativity all at once.

Well I’m tried to summarize my thoughts on creativity. The journey has been long and tiring. I’ve tried to keep it varied and interesting and I’ve hoped that you have enjoyed reading my blogs.

No comments: