Monday 26 November 2007

Creativity part 2

For my next battle with creativity I thought I would do a bit of a history lesson, my idea is to share what I consider creative times in mankind’s past. I thought I would spend some time thinking about this partly because it is interesting and partly because I want to see Beowulf, (as it revolves around the 6th century) mind you I don’t want to see it because of the time line it was based around, I want to see just how bad it really is.

Anyway I digress from the point I was trying to make. I could tell you when mankinds first signs of creative thought were noticed, or recite some interesting poetry but it wouldn’t of have much thought put into it really.

The first thing that I would like to mention is the Tiki statues. These statues belong to tribes that border the South Pacific Ocean and are carved out of wood, they are placed to mark and protect boundaries to sacred places of worship. Why are they interesting? Just take a glace at them and I think that you’ll agree that they captivate straight away. Anything that resembles human form but blatantly isn’t has an eerie feeling about it. They also come in really interesting and tribal shapes and sizes. Like the heads on Easter Island there is something unsettling and eerie about them, which is perhaps why I like them so much.

Another thing that I would like to mention is Norse mythology, it was only after playing age of mythology that I really got interested in mythical legends, so it proves that games ARE good for you and that everyone should play them. Anyway I wouldn’t say that I’m only interested in Norse mythology, every religion has a wealth of interesting, morel and diverse stories, all these legends and fables enlighten the communities. In a way living in all this modern technology strips away communities and everyone sits in front of a computer to do their talking, any interesting ‘fable’ is usually some video on Youtube. We live in an age where we don’t need to hear about David and Goliath or Jason and the Argonauts since we all have Xbox 360’s. I’m probably going on a tangent here and completely going off the subject and ranting about old-fashioned values and such so I’ll talk about something different now. I always loved learning about history and was an avid fan of those horrible history books. Another historic age that I liked would be the Tudor age, as a child I often thought what it would be like living around that time, my guess is that it would have been a lot like Neverwinter Nights – or so I believed, except there would have been no mages or 5+ swords back in those days. Perhaps this is why games with strong senses of historic influence always appeal to me, such as Neverwinter nights or Fable.

Since there was limited technology and such everywhere had a strong sense of individualism and originality which doesn’t really happen these days since land is limited and such things, which is why the past is so fascinating, as it is so diverse. It seems that the closer people get with communicating, the world seems to get smaller and smaller, the modern man is less and less interested in religion as they used to be and the morels of man seemed to of changed, the future is focused on technology. Which, since I am doing a career, which didn’t even exist a century ago, is a good thing- there are far more opportunities for people that are trained in new technology.

I guess I could say that I find a lot of things creative such as games, art, books, films etc, but I bet everyone does. In inspiration, the past is always intriguing and will probably always be looked upon for creative ideas.


No comments: