Wednesday 16 April 2008

Good and bad Art

Time to have another stab at the subject of Good or Bad art, which is a real tricky subject since there isn’t really a proper answer to this as not everyone is going to have the same opinion on the same piece of material.

However I do think that people who have been trained up in any visually creative field would have a different approach to looking at a piece of art as they would have more of an idea about the creative process in general. I would say that I do judge art very quickly because I know about the gruelling hours that you put into a piece of work and all the hard work like perspective, colour theory, composition etc etc. However that only applies to certain types of art.

The internet makes artist much more able to showcase their work without paying for gallery space or planning exhibitions, many artists have their own websites showcasing themselves. Many use the really famous art site Deviant art. However this also means that anyone can use these sites and the amount of bad art you find on Deviant is a tad disturbing. For an example I searched for Fat Pikachu on Deviant art and hundreds of badly drawn pokemon flood the screen, so I click on a random one and it has about 51 favourites and over 1000 views with comments like.


“ I really like this! You drew and colored the Pikachu so well”
“Wow. Very awesome. Fav.”

A fat pikachu is not good art, but there are tons of badly drawn pieces of “art” strewn about on this site with people commenting about how great it all is. Ask them who Kandinsky is and they probably wouldn’t have clue. I believe the problem is that people get too wrapped up in the subject matter and the style (American Manga for example) to even care about if it was drawn well or not.

I do think site likes this are great for the artistic community since everyone has a fighting chance of being seen and noticed, but the point that I am trying to make is that I don’t like that piece of art, as I do not see that as art, however many other people do. Seeing a piece like that evoked a negative reaction from me and a positive reaction from others and that is what art is about, your reaction to it?

You can’t really judge art, there is no fundamental law that says this piece is good and that piece is bad. It really depends on the person that is engaging with the art. When judging a piece many things come into account such as skill, perspective, colour theory and subject matter. Like I said I judge art pretty quickly since I know what I like, I know what I like to see in art and what I don’t. It’s not that I hate the piece of art it’s just that it doesn’t do anything for me.

I’m a fan of the old masters work, like Da Vinci, Raphael, William Holman Hunt and Bouguereau and I love Art nouveau and Pre Raphaelites. I’m not a fan of the Dada movement and I’m not particularly fond of Minimalism. These are choices that have shaded my liking for certain styles of art and shaped how I see the world of art. What does it say about my general taste in art. I like art that I can see the skill and hard work that’s been put into it. I like complex subject matter with symbolism (William Holman Hunt’s, The Saviour had tons of symbolism to do with Christ.)

I don’t like art that looks like it was done in an hour or artwork that doesn’t have much depth, I can’t really see the artistic depth to a matchbox stuck on the wall and someone says that art. To me it’s a matchbox stuck on the wall. I don’t like squiggles that look like they were painted by a two-year old, I personally don’t see this “art”, it’s a type of art to someone but not to me. This brings me to my next point.

Click Here.

Does that mean that it’s “bad” art. Well no since I don’t really think there can be such a term as bad art. I think art has different categories that they fall into and I think that certain types of art get more respect then others. Art is something that’s free and it seems that anyone can do “Art”. Art is product of creativity, so does that deem everything creative as art? Well in some sense I agree however there are so many different levels and meanings to art that it gets harder to pin point “bad” art. There is art that I don’t like but other people do, there is badly drawn art which people still like and think is amazing. If it came down to skill level then there would be thousands of pieces that fall into the bad art category however it doesn’t boil down to that. At the end of the day it’s your opinion that makes the choice between bad or good.

Click Here

And just to see how much you know about art.

Click Here

Well I believe I'll stop babbling on now.


No comments: