Sunday 11 March 2007

Week 21: Where do you want to go and how do you want to get there?

Well for this blog it’s time to look back upon the last few months and reflect if I’ve learnt anything from being on the course.

First I’ll start with 3dsMax: Although most of the time I might not show it I do actually really enjoy working in Max and have been fairly pleased with my results so far. When I look back upon the wheelie bin project and how daunting everything seemed at the time it’s quite encouraging to see how much not only myself but also a lot of others have improved in leaps and bounds. I would love to have the technical knowledge to be a bit less constricted when making objects in Max however I’m sure that will come in time. I wouldn’t say I’m confident in Max however I am competent in the program and will put time and effort into what I’m making in order to achieve the result I want. I’m pleased that we have deadlines in a way because I can be a bit of a perfectionist and spend time tweaking bits here and there, which no one can even tell what I’ve done.

Next it’s Art: I did feel at first very much out of my league on the first few weeks of the art class, at the time it seemed everyone was a professional artist compared to me however that feeling soon passed and I began to feel comfortable in class and with my skills. It seems odd but as soon as I moved to my halls I didn’t feel very inspired or motivated as much as I had been over the Summer, I think I’m experiencing an Artists Block at the moment. I would enjoy Art class more if I wasn’t so critical of my work, I find it very hard to take complements about my work and will often struggle to find what exactly is good about it, although I’m no where as bad as I used to be. I really enjoyed the workshop that we had and the more sculpture related work such as making the wire men as this was a nice break from the more traditional work, I would also enjoy trying my hand at soft modelling (Hint hint).

The Art Style Guide: I was feeling fairly creative when I was working on the art style guide however I would of loved to have gone more in detail with it and maybe produced some concept art for it. I was quite saddened to hear that it wouldn’t be marked however I do think it was an interesting experience and I would like to do it again at one point or another.

Specifications etc: This is just a quick word on the document related part of our 3dsmax projects. I would love to put more detail in my specifications and timetables however when we were doing the bin, it was such a small object that it didn’t need a massively detailed specification so it was kept quite simple. Now I’ve got my head round the process of writing a specification I’m think I could write a thorough in-detail specification like the second years have done.

And lastly,

Blogging: I enjoy writing blogs when I get round to it and posting silly things and well just making it a bit more personal. I wish I could write longer blogs but I’d most likely waffle on and on and write about trivialities and bore the reader to tears, also I guess my grammar could be improved. However the actual blog writing and research itself I find quite interesting and not extremely difficult although I would say my overall downfall with my blogs would be the fact that I’m hardly ever on time with them, I think it’s a preference of mine to do two or three at a time as I find this helps me really concentrate and I find that I can write longer however I will try harder to keep more up to date in the future.

Well all in all, I would say that I’m really glad to be here and I’m quite pleased with my work. It’s also an interesting opportunity to meet people who share the same interests as me. I want to get a good job out of this is my primary concern and contribute towards making creative and interesting games – and play them for free.

:3

No comments: